Mary Allwood had a dirty little secret. It wasn’t one that would ruin her reputation, but it almost cost the 26-year-old her life.
When she began to feel ill, Allwood went to the hospital. It was there that her secret came out.
It was found that Allwood’s liver was double the size it should have been. She had also put on a significant amount of weight.
Doctors immediately asked the mother of one how much alcohol she drank. The symptoms she was experiencing were on par for what a severe alcoholic would experience.
Allwood maintained that she was not an alcoholic. It took many questions from the doctors before she admitted to her problem.
She had been drinking up to 20 cans of the energy drink Red Bull every day for four years. In caffeine and sugar content, that’s like eating over a dozen cookies or candy bars and drinking over a dozen cups of coffee a day.
When Allwood first began consuming the drink, it was for energy. However, her consumption quickly turned into an addiction.
“I needed the taste and fizziness. It was my heroin. I would feel awful if I didn’t have it,” she said. The only liquid that Allwood drank was Red Bull.
After her hospital visit, Allwood swapped the Red Bull for water. She has lost weight and feels so much better now that she is staying away from the beverage.
Allwood is using her experience to warn others about the dangers of energy drinks. She believes that there should be warnings on the packaging just like cigarettes. Hopefully her wise words will inspire others to limit their Red Bull intake.
Don`t forget to Share this to your friends!