Emma Carver and Mohammad Umar have gone through the nightmare of losing their child. Carver found herself in a scene that many parents experience on a regular basis, just moments before her toddler’s death.
She took 2-year-old Ayyan Umar to the grocery store. He was sitting in the shopping cart while Carver was looking at cheese.
In one moment, she was considering something as ordinary as which cheese to buy. In the next, she was fighting to save her toddler’s life.
The terrifying sound of choking coming from her son pulled her attention back to him. Ayyan managed to grab two whole grapes that were sitting in the shopping cart.
Those two grapes were now lodged in his airway. Carver threw the cheese out of her hand.
She immediately delivered strikes to her son’s back. 911 was called by a nearby shopper.
Another attempted CPR. EMS arrived approximately five to seven minutes after the call.
They were able to dislodge one grape. Tragically, it was too late.
Ayyan was gone. He was taken to the hospital where the second grape was found in his throat and removed.
The grief that the parents are feeling over their son’s death is heartbreakingly palpable. Ayyan’s father, Mohammad Umar, broke down in tears while being interview by WXYZ.
He said, “I was feeling like maybe it was a bad dream, maybe somebody gonna wake me up…I see him everywhere.” Umar and Carver are now begging parents to take first aid classes like they are planning to do.
The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends that children under 4 should stay far away from whole grapes. Until age 4, grapes should be sliced lengthwise before being given to young children.
Don`t forget to Share this to your friends!