In my opinion, being a teacher is one of the most noble professions out there. Helping to educate the next generation is such an important task, but it’s also a very difficult one. Contending with parents and distracted students, not to mention the hours upon hours of prep work, educators go above and beyond to help mould our future leaders, visionaries and other pillars of society.We can all recall our favourite teacher, the man or woman who sparked curiosity in our developing minds, inspiring us to become better and sowing the seeds for the human beings we become. Today is National Teacher Day, and I can think of no better way to show my appreciation for the educators working tirelessly around the world than to celebrate some of the most compassionate, creative and fun-loving teachers out there.
1. This teacher rescues abandoned kittens in her spare time… and brings them into class
2. This teacher had a great idea for a fundraiser: $1 = one piece of tape
3. A young boy from Iran has cancer, but his teacher visits him every day in hospital to keep him up to date on classes
4. One teacher had a great way to stop students taking home borrowed pencils…
5. This student fell asleep during class… so his teacher had some fun
6. What do teachers drink to keep their energy levels so high?
7. This teacher wore the exact same outfit for his yearbook picture for 40 years
8. Here, a teacher has caught one of his students smoking in the bathroom… they’re so busted
9. That’s one way to teach your students about the human body
10. To protest finals being held at seven in the morning, these teachers showed up to work in pyjamas
11. A physics teacher explains to his class how liquids work
12. These three teachers have taken some ingenious yearbook photos
13. This teacher matched his tie with his PowerPoint presentation
14. One student doodled on his test… his teacher responded hilariously
15. When this teacher found out one of her students skipped class to live-stream a video game, she decided to tune in and watch with the rest of the class
16. This teacher produces the coolest chalkboard drawings
17. This teacher is gay, and when one of his students said: “I’m glad gays can’t marry here. They scare me, kinda like Clowns”, this is how he showed up to work the next day
18. One guy fell asleep in class, so his teacher set about tying his shoes together
19. This teacher skateboards to class every day
20. This teacher set some very challenging (and unconventional) homework for his students
Growing up, it can sometimes be hard to think of teachers as people. When I was very young, I thought that one of my teachers was a robot; one that was switched on at the beginning of the school day, its sole objectives to get cross with me and make me do more sums. Of course, now that we’re older, we can appreciate the hard work that teachers do each and every day: some of you may even be teachers yourselves. This National Teacher Day, I’d like to invite you to remember your favourite educators, and fully appreciate the effort they put in to help you become the person you are.