Many will agree, it’s a relaxing experience to lay back in a padded chair at the beauty parlor while someone else washes your hair. We associate it with treating yourself or just a regular part of our grooming routine.
It’s nice to get a gentle massage for your scalp. Sometimes it’s difficult to not close your eyes and doze off during the procedure.
This was not the case for one unfortunate dad who got way more than he bargained for. He did not realize that there was any problem, though, until until three days after visiting a salon.
Suddenly, his right side went numb just prior to him collapsing. At only 45 years old, Dave Tyler was in for the shock of his life after being rushed to the hospital.
Dave Tyler, 45, suffered a massive stroke caused by a blood clot when his head was bent backwards over a basin to… https://t.co/BDoGjKbqy4
— Aust Aphasia Assoc (@AusAphasiaAssoc) January 5, 2017
It was determined Tyler had suffered a stroke caused by a blood clot. But it was how he got the blood clot that was surprising.
Apparently, the problem was created when he tilted his head too far back while getting his hair washed. The angle of his head injured his neck, causing the clot to form.
This may seem like an isolated incident, but “Beauty Salon Stroke Syndrome,” as it has come to be referred to as, was first recognized in 1993. A woman in Great Britain suffered the same fate in early 2017.
The angle of a person’s head while receiving a shampoo can restrict a person’s blood flow, leading to a stroke. The proper angle should be no more than 15 degrees.
Those who are elderly, suffer from arthritis of the neck, or already experience weak blood flow to the brain are especially susceptible. So if any of those descriptors apply to you, make sure your head and neck are properly supported the next time you get your hair done.
Tyler won a law suit against the well-known salon for $113,000 but still suffers today with his sense of balance. He is no longer able to safely drive a car, even six years after the incident happened.
The stroke survivor now advises people concerning his ordeal. He recommends that all salons place a towel under a patron’s neck when washing their hair and provide comfortable pillows for them to sit on.
Tyler is also an advocate for educating hairdressers about this syndrome, as many of them are uninformed and unaware. He suggests patrons stay fully aware of their positioning while in the chair with their head back, and if they experience any discomfort, they should make the hairdresser immediately aware.
Don`t forget to Share this to your friends!