You know that saying one man’s trash is another man’s treasure? Well, what happens when an old car that was so closely linked to a young woman and her story becomes another man’s lesson?
When you buy something used, it’s pretty common that you might find something that belonged to the previous owner inside. Especially if it’s a house or a car.
Usually, people will find something basic like a stray button or a forgotten CD, but when this father decided to buy his daughter a used car he found something far more meaningful.
When Kevin Duke was going through the glove department of his daughter Jada’s new used car, he came across an envelope that had been left inside. At first, he thought nothing of it until he saw that it was handwritten and addressed to the new car owner.
1. The letter was so touching, that he decided to share its contents with the Facebook group Love What Matters.
2. The letter had been written by a woman who was eventually identified as Sabrina Archey. She was addressing the new owners of the car and began to share a tragic and touching story.
3. Duke was so touched and heartbroken that he had to share the story with others. It’s been shared almost 4k times on Facebook and is circulating the web elsewhere as well.
4. The letter starts out by saying that whoever purchased the car should know what a special vehicle it is. That’s when things started to get a bit heavy.
5. Archey went on to explain that the car had belonged to her mother who had passed away in a house fire on the 25th of February, 2015. Here’s Archey with her mother in the background.
6. If that isn’t sad enough, Archey also lost her 6-year-old daughter and her aunt in the same accident.
7. She explained that the last time her mother drove this car was ‘the day she left us.’ Her and her daughter were out shopping and getting a haircut.
8. Archey also went into detail about how important the car was to her and how she has struggled to give it up during an insurance mix up.
9. Sabrina let the new owner know how hard it has been to lose her home, her family, and now because of a mix-up with some paperwork she would be losing the last connection she had to her mom.
10. However, She also assured the new owner that she didn’t hold anything against them. ‘I’m not mad at you,’ she wrote. ‘I hope this car is the best car you’ve ever owned.’
11. Of course she hopes that the car will continue to run for as long as it can and informed the new owners that her and her family filled the car with ‘lots of love and other sticky things.’ Here’s Archey’s mother pictured again.
12. Also included were some of her favorite memories in the car including blaring music during road trips, rolling down the windows, and changing diapers. ‘There’s probably a sucker stick or a crayon hidden somewhere that belonged to my baby,’ she wrote. ‘Maybe even an entire chicken nugget!’
13. She requested that whoever owns the car treats it with respect, and to play it a country song now and again. ‘You’re riding with angels. My angels,’ she wrote. ‘Talk to them if you like, I’m sure they’d like to see and hear about any new adventure you take in this car.’ She also requested that the cars name ‘Sylvia’ not be changed as that’s the name her daughter chose.
14. You can read the rest of the handwritten letter in the Facebook post that has now gone viral. Since gaining so much attention, Archey has now also expressed her respect for Duke.
15. Archey knew that he didn’t have to share the letter and must have been very moved to do so. She also told people that she didn’t want anyone to be mad that he has ‘Sylvia.’ ‘I know in my bones that if he was able to give me the car he would in an instant.’ Pictured here is Duke’s daughter with Sylvia.
16. There is actually a youcaring campaign set up in order to help Archey buy Sylvia back and also make sure Duke’s daughter Jada still get’s her car as well! They are about 500 dollars away from their goal so it looks like this story will have a happier ending after all!