This bake sale was actually dope.
A Florida man was arrested last week for allegedly cooking pot brownies for his teenage daughter and her pals to peddle at school.
Palm Bay cops say the budding venture went up in smoke after two high schoolers were rushed to the ER after downing the THC-laced desserts. One student was allegedly “unresponsive” after trying the edibles.
Robert Johnson, 38, is accused of growing marijuana in his garage and baking and packing the brownies for his 17-year-old daughter, who allegedly planned to sell them at a graduation bash at Universal Studios.
But the cannabis oil-infused treats were hawked at a high school baseball game instead, for $10 a pop, WFTV Channel 9 reported.
“The students didn’t understand the dosage of the pot brownies,” Palm Bay police Lt. Mike Bandish told The Daily Beast.
“Two of the students ate the complete brownie,” Bandish said. “You’re only supposed to take a bite or two… it’s like drinking one beer compared to the whole 12-pack.”
Johnson faces a slew of felony charges including: delivery of a controlled substance to a minor; sale of a controlled substance within 1,000 feet of a school; and possession of cannabis with the intent to sell or deliver.
His daughter and four other students are also charged in the alleged pot-brownie ring, authorities say. Their names have not been released.
Johnson—a carpenter and self-styled “redneck hippy”—wasn’t a known dealer before the alleged brownie ring went to pot.
After the student illnesses, cops obtained a search warrant that they say unearthed a marijuana-growing operation in Johnson’s garage. Officers say they found more brownies in his freezer, along with weed-packed Tostitos jars hidden in a safe.
“He wasn’t even on our radar until he started making the brownies and the kids got sick,” said Bandish told The Daily Beast.
Palm Bay cops usually “wouldn’t get involved in a small operation like this,” Bandish said, but did so because “it was at the school and kids got really sick.”
“Normally we focus on heroin and fentanyl, but when kids are getting sick, we have to do something about it,” Bandish added.
According to an arrest report, cops received a call from Heritage High School on April 6 after a student “was found ill and none [sic] responsive.” The student was transported to the hospital and treated by emergency room staff.
A second student, whose parents rushed him to the hospital, “was also ill with the same symptoms,” the report states.
Those students told police that they received the brownies from a male friend of Johnson’s daughter, who attends Bayside High School.
Johnson’s daughter later told authorities that her friend asked for her father to whip up the magic brownies. She then took the profits from her sales to her father’s residence, the report indicates.
When reached by a Daily Beast reporter on Tuesday, Johnson declined to comment on the alleged half-baked ring. “I’m not commenting on that, don’t call me again, have a good day,” Johnson said before hanging up.
On his Facebook page, Johnson describes himself as a “Long haired redneck hippy, if thats possible.” Under his self-employed work history, the handyman wrote, “People pay me to do there dirty work.”
He listed his favorite quote as: “If it smells like fish its a tasty dish, if it smells like colonge leave it alone!!!”
This week, local TV stations including News 13 were inundated with blunt commentary from skeptical readers.
“Funny how anytime something happens with marijuana the news decides to jump on it and hype up the story, yet people DIE from overdosing on pharmaceuticals everyday in FL and no one ever reports it. Biased much?” one Florida man wrote.
“See if it was legal this wouldn’t happen! Probably shouldn’t of sold them to some light weights in the first place!” another reader said.
One mother chimed in, “I’m a little confused. Is Marijuana is legal? Is it legal to sell or distribute marijuana to kids? If the answers are no then why so many folks defending the actions of this parent?”
News 13 even got caught up in the reefer debate.
“It’s not unheard of for people to be sickened by edibles. That’s why in states that have recreational/medical marijuana, there are standards for making it,” the station’s Facebook account said.
“The bottom line is the two kids got sick, one went unconscious, and had to be taken to the hospital. If you have a problem with our facts, you need to take that up with police. We do not make up facts.”
Here’s what social networks say about this:
Jeremy Thiess Funny how anytime something happens with marijuana the news decides to jump on it and hype up the story, yet people DIE from overdosing on pharmaceuticals everyday in FL and no one ever reports it. Biased much?
Adriana Osio Found “unresponsive”: Yeah, sleeping. No word as to their condition: Ummm, probably still a little sleepy & hungry.
Yes, the father & daughter broke the law, but it’s cannabis; not meth, heroin, pills…etc. You know, drugs that can kill you. Remember that before you freak out thinking these kids are going to suffer some sort of brain damage or came near death because of these brownies.
Daniel Ballard How much is the state paying all of you “news” outlets to continue demonizing pot so that voters who accept misinformation as fact will continue voting against legalization? And why? I know if our revenue starts making money like Washington and Colorado it’ll be more difficult to cover up things like poor funding for education, but I would think they could poor more into education off of legal sales and skim some of that and get even more wealthy at tax payers’ expense. I don’t know, maybe I’m wrong. You know what though, maybe you guys could do a story on why Volusia takes in so much money off of tourism and property taxes and the like but they pay educators less than any other county in the state? Where is Volusia county’s money going?
Desiree Traina Who goes to a high school baseball game sober anyways? Lol. But seriously, they had to be high asf to think that was a solid enterprise.
Gwen Searfoss I doubt they were sickened. Probably high AF and freaking out. Lmao! I’d still be pissed if someone gave my kids pot brownies. Show some responsibility and let me try them first… you know, to make sure they are not poisonous. 😂😂😂