Authorities on Friday were investigating the deaths of a Spirit Airlines pilot and his wife whose bodies were found by their children in their southwestern Ohio home. A coroner said the preliminary cause of death for both appears consistent with a drug overdose.
Pilot Brian Halye, 36, and wife Courtney, 34, were found dead Thursday in a bedroom of their home in Centerville, south of Dayton, police said.
The couple’s children can be heard on a 911 call after their parents failed to wake them for school.
«They were very cold,» their son told a dispatcher while his three sisters can be heard crying in the background.
The son added that they found their parents in bed not breathing and that his sisters described their father’s face as «pale and there was black lines all over his face.»
Spirit Airlines confirmed Friday of Halye’s appointment and said his final flight was March 10.
«Captain Halye served at the airline for just over nine years,» Spirit Airlines said in a statement, noting that they run random drug and alcohol tests on all employees.
The airlines said anyone who tests positive for drugs is immediately fired.
Although authorities are still investigating, they say the deaths appear to be drug-related and are consistent with a heroin or fentanyl overdose. A toxicology report will take four to six weeks.
Centerville police added that the deaths appeared to be drug-related because narcotics paraphernalia was found at the scene.
The director for the Montgomery County Coroner’s Office said heroin overdoses have reached «record numbers for January and February.»
Courtney Halye’s mother, Nancy Casey, said her daughter was a Type 1 diabetic, suffered from depression and was on medication. But Casey, 51, believes heroin or drugs were not a persistent problem in the parents’ lives, and added that her daughter was well-liked and described her as «a light in the room.»
«I don’t know if they decided they were going to party, or went and they got a hold of this bad stuff going around town,» she told NBC News, noting that her daughter should not be characterized as an «addict» or «low-life.»
But she had a bad feeling after she talked to them earlier in the day.
«I had this dreadful feeling all day,» Casey said. «Something was off with her and something was off with him.»
Here’s what social networks say about this:
Chris O’Mara People feel sorry for the children, as I do too. But they don’t feel sorry enough to actually help people who are addicted to substances. Look at the folks in Algonac who are screaming holy hell that in no way do they want a rehab facility anywhere near them, yet most would agree there’s a large opiate epidemic in and around our area. If we aren’t willing to care enough for the addict, and offer them a way out, then we need to have the same outlook for the loved ones who are left in the the aftermath of the overdose. «We’re very sorry this terrible tragedy happened to you, but your loved one was ill and we didn’t want them among us anyway…»
Kelley Nader Yes, that is what we are saying. SMH. A 2 week drug reghab is another mega business, doesnt tru help the addict once their insurance doesn’t pay for the 2 weeks. And yes, you are right, we don’t want drug addicts released in iur neighborhoods, with no true help. But why don’t you open up your home? let different drug addicts come in every two weeks, open your heart.
Paul B Felt So good to know someone as intelligent as yourself, dictates who goes to hell, and who goes to heaven! I was worried that decision was left up to God.
Melody Maxine The very first time they put a needle in their arm, they should’ve had some kind of conscience and knew it was wrong and that it leads to addiction. Its selfish to even try it for the first time knowing what could happen, especially if they have children.